Kanban in a nutshell (Visualize, WIP, Measure)
· Visualize the workflow - Split the work into pieces, write each item on a card and put on the wall, use named columns
· Limit WIP (work in progress) – assign explicit limits to how many items may be in progress at each workflow state.
· Measure the lead time (average time to complete one item, sometimes called “cycle time”), optimize the process to make lead time small and predictable.
Quick intro- Kanban oversimplified,
- David Anderson. http://www.djaa.com/kanban-alternative-path-agility
- A4 tje over Scrum& Kanban http://www.flickr.com/photos/toddaclarke/8000743812/in/pool-1253373@N20/lightbox/
- Kanban basics: http://www.slideshare.net/pawelbrodzinski/kanban-basics-5834758
- ScrumBan Short - http://www.slideshare.net/n_ramrakhyani/scrumban-pechakucha
- Kanban Elephant - http://www.slideshare.net/jsonnevelt/kanban-dealing-with-the-elephant-in-the-room-one-chunk-at-a-time
- Personal Kanban: http://www.slideshare.net/ourfounder/personal-kanban-101?from_search=2
- Spirit of Kanban: http://www.slideshare.net/gordycloke/spirit-of-kanban
- Fragile to Agile with Kanban: http://www.slideshare.net/mgaewsj/how-fragile-we-are
Take-away points for learning Agile tools:
- Know your goal - Hint: Agile/Lean/Kanban/Scrum isn’t it.
- Never blame the tool - Tools don’t fail or succeed. People do. There is no good/bad tool. Only decisions about when, where, how, and why to use which tool.
- Don’t limit yourself to one tool - Learn as many as possible. Compare for understanding, not judgement.
- Experiment & enjoy the ride - Don’t worry about getting it right from start; you won’t. The only real failure is the failure to learn from failure.
- Kanban vs Scrum (article)
- Scrum checklist
- One day in Kanban Land (cartoon)
- Cause-effect diagrams – a pragmatic approach to root-cause analysis (article)
- Whiteboards: http://prezi.com/lc_uw1n3n_kq/the-smurfs-whiteboard/, http://pinterest.com/twstudios/bestcardwall/
- Tools: http://kanbanize.com/, http://www.kanbanery.com, http://limitedwipsociety.ning.com/page/tools